If you are a foreigner who has been in Singapore for longer than 12 months, you will be required to convert your foreign licence to a Singapore Driving License by taking a theory test. For new Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PR), or returning Singaporeans without a Singapore driving licence, you must register and pass the Theory Test and convert your foreign driving licence within 3 months after obtaining your citizenship/PR status or from returning to Singapore. In this blog post, we will guide you through everything you need to know about converting your foreign driving licence to a Singapore driving licence.
2 steps to getting your driving licence converted
Step 1: Pass the Singapore Basic Theory Test (BTT)
If you already have a driving licence, you do not need to go through the entire driving test process from scratch.
To convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you must take and pass the Singapore BTT.
Do note that overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration.
You can take the free mock theory test from Traffic Police here: or
To book your BTT, you will need to create an account with any of the three driving centres below.
Bookings can be done in person at the nearest driving centre near you or online via the links below.
Bukit Batok Driving Centre https://info.bbdc.sg/course/foreign-licence-conversion/
📍 Address: 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5, Singapore 659085
📞T: 1800 666 8888
ComfortDelGro Driving Centre https://www.cdc.com.sg/course/theory-test-btt-ftt
📍 Address: 205 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408805
📞T: 6841 8900, 6848 0617
Singapore Safety Driving Centre https://support.ssdcl.com.sg/support/solutions/articles/72000578554-how-do-i-book-the-traffic-police-theory-tests-btt-ftt-rtt-online-
📍 Address: 2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4, Singapore 757387
📞T: 6482 6060
Book your test early via the driving centre booking system.
Familiarise yourself with the theories as it may be totally different from overseas.
Step 2: Apply for conversion
Once you pass your BTT, you can proceed to apply for your driver licence conversion at the Traffic Police Test Centre counter listed below:
Traffic Police Headquarters
📍 Address: 10 Ubi Ave 3, Singapore 408865
📞T: 6547 0000
We have prepared a checklist for you as follows:
- Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/entry permit/employment pass/dependent pass/social visit pass/work permit
- Original and a photocopy of a valid foreign driving licence
- One recent matte passport-sized photograph of you on a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted;
- Prepare for a processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only)
Check your foreign driving licence for the following:
1. Your foreign driving licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass, etc
2. If your foreign driving licence is not in English, you must have one of these:
- International driving permit; or
- An official translation of your driving licence in English obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any Singapore registered translation companies.
Do note: Translation is not required for licences issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.
3. If your foreign driving licence does not have the 1st date of issue, you are required to obtain an extract of the driving licence record from the Licencing Authority in your home country.
Driving in Singapore
- After the application, you will receive an acknowledgement slip and you can start driving in Singapore immediately. The hardcopy licence will be issued to you in approximately 2 weeks.
- For foreigners, your Singapore driving licence will be valid for five years from the date of issuance as indicated on the driving licence and you have to renew your Singapore driving licence with the Traffic Police Department within one month before the expiry date as indicated on the driving licence.
- If you are thinking of buying a car which will be very costly in Singapore, you can consider Carzuno Car Subscriptions. With many car models to choose from, you will be spoilt for choice. Get access to your personal car within 24 hours with no deposit or membership fees.